Pages

9.11.11

Breakfast of Champions

I've been having trouble opening my mouth properly for a while now. Recently it got quite a bit worse and I was diagnosed with temporomandibular joint disorder. I'm seeing a physiotherapist once a week and hopefully in a few months my jaw will be at a point where surgery is feasible, but in the meantime eating well and eating enough has become a bit of a problem.

Photo of a muffin on a plate with a little paper flag reading "Good Morning."

So, in a quest to come up with something breakfasty that's easy for me to eat I invented these awesome muffins. Well, ok, I changed an existing recipe. But I changed it a fair bit!

Photo of the muffin broken in half.


Amie's Breakfast Muffins
Makes 12 muffins
  • 1 3/4 cups wholemeal self-raising flour
  • 1 cup natural yoghurt
  • 1 egg
  • 1/2 cup rice bran oil
  • 2 large bananas, mashed
  • 1/4 cup honey
  • 1/4 cup protein powder (optional)
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/2 tsp ground ginger
  • 1 1/4 cups muesli with dried fruit
Preheat oven to 180°C. Combine yoghurt, egg, oil and banana in a large mixing bowl. Gradually stir in remaining ingredients until just combined. Spoon into greased muffin tray/s and bake for 20-25 minutes. Let stand in the trays for 5 minutes before turning the muffins out onto a cooling rack.

The muffins are quite dense and moist and I decided not to make them super sweet. Matt likes them a little sweeter and says they're really good warmed up with a little butter and honey.

Photo of the plate with just crumbs and the paper flag remaining.

2 comments:

  1. Ooooh, ouch. This makes me think about how much I take eating for granted. I can be so picky about what I put in my mouth, but then to have your selections severely limited must be quite frustrating.

    I don't know much about your situation, but I do hope that the surgery is tremendously helpful to you.

    Generally, I don't eat many muffins, but these look super delicious and moist. Yum.

    (P.S. I signed in with Google since my blog type wasn't a selection. I'm Jodi from Daybook. xo)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jodi - Thanks for your comment. :) I think the worst thing is eating out. Trying to find something on the menu that is vegetarian, easy for me to eat and something I actually want to eat (or at least don't not want to eat) can be really frustrating. And it doesn't help that I've also become super self conscious about how I look while eating haha.

    ReplyDelete